Sing A New Song

Sing to the LORD a new song. And His praise in the congregation of His godly ones.
Psalm 149:1


My husband and I minister together in music on Sunday mornings.  On occasion when we introduce a new song we may hear "feedback" that some members of the congregation are finding the song difficult to learn.  This tends to happen when it is a piece with some syncopation involved. 

As leaders it is important to remember that not everyone shares the same passion or skill set that we have - so be gracious.  It is also critical to remain open so that we can better serve the needs of those we lead.

As I mulled over their comments I began to wonder ...

why are we (including myself) so uncomfortable in the world of learning?

After all we are called to sing a new song - not something we already know.

In fact, in a quick search I found approximately nine references that specifically refer to singing a new song.

It made complete sense that it would take a few weeks to sing the new song with the same confidence and gusto as our familiar favourites.

What I have come to realize is that learning requires vulnerability.

Vulnerability can be especially challenging in a public context.

Even in church we can feel embarrassed when we make mistakes.  When our imperfections are exposed it threatens our pride.  When our ego is wounded we are tempted to hide or defend ourselves by criticizing or blaming others.

Over the years I have missed so many opportunities and experiences because I failed to confront the lie that convinced me that I was not smart or talented enough to even try.

Unfortunately, when we do not excel in one area we rarely focus on all the other strengths and gifts we do have!

I have to thank my dear friend Marcia.  She has taught me to embrace new opportunities even if I do not have a clue what I am doing.

She has encouraged me to dive in, take joy in the discovery and be willing to laugh when I fail. 

That is the real issue, isn't it?

Can we trust God to catch us if we fail?

Is our security in Christ or in our own talents and confidence?

By exposing ourselves to something new this places us in a posture of humility.  

We forget that we are situated in this classroom called Earth in order to learn, not just to prove what we already know.

By putting ourselves in the midst of the unfamiliar we learn the importance of surrender.

We have become a society that celebrates self-reliance. The gospel, however, promotes something radically different. God wants us to learn to lean completely on Him.  

As disciples we must also remain curious.  This is an essential character trait if we want to continue to grow in Christ.


Thoughts For Reflection...

When was the last time you tried something new?

How do you respond when you make a mistake?  What happens when you do not understand something in a group setting?  

Are you easily frustrated and lash out?  Do you come up with an excuse?  Do you give up?  Are you afraid of what others think of you? 

Do you laugh and try again?

Do you tend to stick to things that you know you can excel at?

When was the last time you participated in an activity because you enjoyed it rather than because you were good at it?

Do you allow others to make mistakes so they can grow?

Think back to the last time you stepped outside of your comfort zone to try something new - what did it spark inside of you?

Did it energize you?  Inspire creativity?
~
Let's take the posture of a disciple and learn something new this week.

It doesn't have to take a lot of time or cost money.   It doesn't have to be something radical...like belly dancing (yes I have actually tried this!).



Ideas To Get Started...

Try a new hobby
-Start small with a new fitness activity or receipe

Join a new community group or class
-Check out your local community centre or Neighbour/ Community Meet Up - my husband recently used this site to find a soccer group in our local community.  On this site neighbours connect (meet up) to learn and share in various interests such as careers, hiking, urban gardening, photography...etc.  With everything exercise caution - I recommend to always meet in a public place for safety!

Sit in a different place at church or at your next team meeting  
-By adjusting our routines we place ourselves in a position to view things from a fresh perspective.

Strike up a conversation with someone you do not know very well. Spend some time with someone who has diverse interests from you.

Research new innovations in your field of work or other areas of interest. 
-There are a lot of free articles, e-books, www.ted.com/talks on line.

Practise a new spiritual discipline
Rule of Life www.leadershiptransformations.org/documents/selah/thompson_soul_feast.pdf

Study a new topic or book of the Bible
Textweek.com

Add some creativity to your devotional time
Worship Blog - Dan WiltWord transformed - Cardiphonia.org - prayers, song and art for the beauty of the church

 or...why not simply learn a new song!
worshiptogether.comsovereigngracemusic.orgwww.igracemusic.com


I would love to hear what new course, skill, or interest that God places on your heart this week.  Please feel free to share your experience or any resources with others in the comments down below.

It is no surprise that God calls us to sing a new song - after all who would honestly want to listen to the same old song every Sunday?

Be courageous - even if someone is listening -  go ahead and belt out that new song!





My new pick of the week...
"Send Out Your Light" ~ Sarah McCracken.





Comments

  1. As the queen of living in my comfort zone, I loved this post! So many good suggestions. :) My new adventure is Vegan cooking--and I am loving it. It seemed very difficult and time consuming at first, but now I am sailing along and becoming at ease with soaking cashews and grinding almonds and oats into meal and flour. Lol! Nicole, good for you, trying belly dancing. I always thought that would be so much fun. I love the music for its own sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women like you inspire me - you are not afraid to learn and try new things. The vegan cooking seems intensive, but super healthy - that is amazing. I have been also listening to some new health webinars - but I need to find some easy and flavourful recipes to help me out. Thanks Belinda for sharing your own "new song."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts